When someone received the diagnostic of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is usually placed on stimulants and non stimulants medication as well as antidepressants. The goal is to control inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity.
Stimulants medication includes: Amphetamine, Dextroamphetamine (Adderall), Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin, Focalin XR), Methylphenidate (Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate, Methylin, Ritalin, Quillivant XR)
These nonstimulants are FDA-approved for ADHD in children and teens: Atomoxetine (Strattera), Clonidine ER (Kapvay), Guanfacine ER (Intuniv).
- Side effects amphetamines: anxiety, aggitation, lower back pain, nervousness, bloody and cloudy urine, sleep problems, heart palpitations
- Side effects of methyphenidate: nausea, insomnia, headaches, vomiting, decrease appetite, irritability, anxiety
- Side effects of clonidine: mental depression, swelling of feet and legs, confusion, fatigue, hypotension, dizziness, headaches
Antidepressant are not specifically approved to treat ADHD but are usually prescribed to help with inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity.
- Side effects: nausea, increase appetite, weight gain, fatigue, insomnia, sexual problems, anxiety, constipation
The cavet with these drugs is the side effects and the danger of long term drug addiction. The prescription drugs are powerful and changes the brain chemistry. Long term usage of Amphetamines, Methylphenidate and Antidepressants cause deficiencies in neurotransmitters pathways and nutritional deficiencies.
Brain needs right nutrients to balance and calm neurotransmitters. Amino acids are the building blocks of neurotransmitters and testing for these deficiencies.
- My comprehensive test includes: gut bacteria, vitamins and minerals deficiency, neurotransmitters imbalance, and heavy metal testing as all these influence behavior.
Next the protocol is personalized and include combination of botanical extract with amino acids that calm the brain and provide focus. Many plants extract have a modulating effect on the neurotransmitters and feed into the Serotonin, Dopamine, GABA pathways. I am using orthomolecular therapy which has been used for many years to nourish and re balance neurotransmitters pathways.
“Nutrient Power Heal your Biochemistry and Heal your brain” by Walsh, PhD