First step running a thyroid hormonal panel: TSH, T3, T4, free T3, reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies. In addition, it is important to get the accurate DHEA, DHEA-s, E1, E2, E3, Progesterone, Testosterone, SHBG, cortisol.
Here is a list of medications that affect thyroid function and absorption:
Iron, calcium, aluminum hydroxide, colestyramide, sucralfate, raloxifene, phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin, rexinoids, methimazole, beta blockers (propranolol), glucocorticoids, dopamine agonists, metformin, lithium, iodide, amiodarone, iron, acid blockers.
How does other hormones influence the thyroid hormone? Yes!
All hormones in the body play a domino effect on the each other. For example estrogen will increase the amount the thyroid binding globulin the body produces.
- Estrogen dominance will decrease the conversion of T4 to T3.
- Adrenal fatigue will decrease T3 and T4.
- Excess cortisol suppresses TSH
What leads to hypothyroidism? Toxins
Toxins: organophosphates pesticides, Hexachoorbenzene, radiation, dental x-rays, heavy metals, Soy diets, Brassicas, Lifestyles, medication (Amiodarone, Theophyline, Betablockers)
Avoid: chlorine, fluorine, bromine
Detoxifying the thyroid
Finding the root cause why thyroid is malfunctioning in either producing too much or too little hormones is very important. The best approach is detoxifying the thyroid and then nourishing the thyroid so this gland is able to produces its own necessary supplies of hormones.
Reducing the stress
Under the stress body stops converting T4 into T3 (active hormone)
Nourishing the thyroid
Deficiencies leading to hypothyroidism: in vitamin A, B12, vitamin E, selenium, iodine, zinc, iron
Thyroid gland requires minerals and nutrients as building blocks for making its own hormones and function properly. Thyroid gland uses these building-blocks to make the thyroid hormones on its own. The thyroid hormone T4 (thyroxine) needs to be converted to the active form T3 (triiodothyronine) which enters in every cells and this conversion requires in its biochemical substrate all these minerals and nutrients. In addition, thyroid needs to be balanced out with hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal as part of HPA axis for better function.
My Thyroid formula Thyroid Health DrEl contains this:
- Zinc: needed for the synthesis of thyroid hormones. Zinc deficiency can result in hypothyroidism. Thyroid hormones are essential for the absorption of zinc. The hair loss attributed to hypothyroidism may not improve with thyroid hormone replacement unless zinc supplements are added.
- Copper: for metabolism of the amino acid tyrosine, which is a precursor to T4 (thyroxine).
- L-Tyrosine: amino acid precursor to thyroxine hormone being metabolized in thyroid hormone.
- Pituitary concentrate: for nourishment of the pituitary gland which in turn sends signal to the thyroid through TSH in making hormone.
- Hypothalamus concentrate: for support of hypothalamus.
Both progesterone and estrogen deficiency is associated with painful menstruation, PMS, ovarian cysts, sleep disorders and emotional depression disorders.
Synthetic Hormone Therapy or Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) was thought to be a solution for many years but unfortunately the research shows that increase hormonal cancer risks. Due to the molecular structural difference, synthetic hormones can cause a miss communication problems on a cellular level. HRT is associated with an increased risk for a number of diseases, including stroke, thromboembolic events, gall-bladder diseases, and breast cancer.
Plant based phytoestrogens that activate receptors “B” found in everywhere else such as in the skin and brain and has less risk for increasing hormonal cancer. Vitex (chest berry tree) is a phytoprogesterone that supports progesterone levels. Phytoprogesterone has very calming effects and the sleep quality increases with it. It is important to do a hormonal testing first and work on the balance estrogen/progesterone to avoid estrogen dominance.
Plant based hormonal benefits
- Support for psychological level
- Significant improvement on depressive moods and anxiety
- Support for musculoskeletal system and bones
- Supports in bone density in the case of osteoporosis
- Supports of muscular strength
- Improvement of overall mobility in the case of arthrosis and inflammation
- Support for the skin
- Improvements in skin dryness and structure of mucous membranes
Nutrigenetic approach to health testing sample:Practitioner Appendix – Hormone Panel